How does AutoFile work?
We explain how AutoFile works and address common questions in this article.
Once you're enrolled, We guarantee to file on time so that you don't ever have to worry about late fees, penalties, or interest.
AutoFile Frequently Asked Questions
- Is AutoFile included with my monthly/annual subscription?
- Why do I need to enroll in AutoFile?
- What is the pricing for AutoFile?
- How do I enroll in AutoFile?
- I'm enrolled, what's next?
- When will my sales tax return be filed by AutoFile?
- When can I make exemption or product categorization changes to my AutoFile return?
- Do I need to remit payment to the state?
- What states does AutoFile support?
- What if my state offers a discount for on-time filing
- Can TaxJar AutoFile overdue returns?
Is AutoFile included with my monthly/annual subscription?
- When you sign up for a paid subscription, you gain access to TaxJar® Reports.
- Your TaxJar Reports provide automated sales tax Reports that break down your sales data by jurisdiction, which simplifies the process of filing manually.
- AutoFile is an additional service which requires completing the enrollment process successfully in order for TaxJar to file your sales tax returns in every U.S. state.
- You can review how to confirm your enrollment in AutoFile here and we show you how to enroll here.
Why do I need to enroll in AutoFile?
Because AutoFile is an additional service, enrolling lets TaxJar know that you're interested in having TaxJar file your sales tax returns than manually filing them yourself.
We are not able to complete this enrollment for you. Submitting the enrollment form requires confirmation that the information you provide us is accurate and that you authorize us to file on your behalf after you're enrolled successfully.
- Once enrolled, you do not need to enroll again for the same state again unless you specifically request to cancel AutoFile.
- To help you prepare, we've gathered every requirement you need to enroll in AutoFile for every state.
What is the pricing for AutoFile?
The pricing for AutoFile varies depending on your TaxJar Reports plan type and the volume of AutoFile returns you'd like TaxJar to file on your behalf.
- You can view your plan's pricing details for AutoFile in your AutoFile Dashboard.
- Annual subscribers also have the ability to purchase sets of prepaid AutoFile Bundles at an additional discount.
- We provide more information on how much AutoFile costs here.
I'm enrolled, what's next?
Once you're successfully enrolled in our AutoFile service, TaxJar will use the transaction data we receive from your Linked Accounts to prepare and submit returns to the state, along with payments.
• Our AutoFile service supports exempt or reduced taxability. Please follow these instructions to make sure your Reports properly reflect your sales.
• As we explain here, AutoFile is based on the Expected Sales Tax Due Report and the total we expect to file will be based on the estimate you see in the Expected Sales Tax Due Report.
AutoFile is built on system-automated deadlines because we guarantee your sales tax return will be filed by the state's due date.
1. When you are successfully enrolled in AutoFile, you will receive an email notification when your AutoFile return begins processing.
2. If you need to make any changes, please pause your return immediately. We discuss the timeline and deadlines for AutoFile in this article.*
3. If no changes are required or your filing has been resumed, then your sales tax return will be submitted automatically to the state!
4. You can view a copy of the sales tax return filed by our AutoFile service in your Filing History. Learn more here about the Filing History.
*Sales tax returns that have been submitted via AutoFile cannot be stopped or paused.
When will my sales tax return be filed by AutoFile?
Your sales tax return will be filed by the state's due date and we cannot predict the exact date when your return is filed.
- You will not be able to choose the date that your return is AutoFiled or the date that your account is debited by the state.
Do I need to remit payment to the state?
No. We will debit your payment account for the amount you owe on your sales tax and remit directly to the state. We provide more details in our AutoFile banking FAQ here.
What states does AutoFile support?
- We do not support Filing outside of the US. We like to keep track of which areas people need AutoFile the most, so shoot us an email at email@example.com and let us know which country you’d like to see.
What if my state offers a discount for on-time filing
- Many states offer money-back for filing on-time. Other sales tax solutions keep this on-time filing reward for themselves, but TaxJar does not. Some AutoFile users find that this discount often covers the extra cost of AutoFile for them.
We have more information here regarding our AutoFile service.