How do I begin to file my sales tax returns?
In this article
Your TaxJar Reports have the data you'll need to file your returns with the state.
- In these Reports, we've compiled all of your imported transaction data into a streamlined form that shows you your sales broken down int the way the state requires your date to be reported.
- If you use your Report to file returns manually, you'll also want to be sure that you record the payment you make to the state in your TaxJar account.
How do I record a payment for a sales tax return that I filed?
To get started, click the name of the state that you want to file on your TaxJar Dashboard to open the Sales Tax Report.
- Once you have the Report open, make sure you're viewing the filing period that matches the return you need to file (use the navigation arrows in the upper right corner.)
- Then, click the "Record a Filing" button.
On the next page, you'll see a screen that displays your options for filing a return manually and allow you to record the amount that you paid the state in your TaxJar account's Filing history.
Marking a Filing Period as "Closed"
Once you have filed a sales tax return, you have the option to close the filing period in your TaxJar account and mark the period as closed and paid in full.
- This is recommended because by doing this, you are letting TaxJar know that you have filed a return for the transactions in that period.
- If you are enrolled in AutoFile, the period will close automatically.
What happens to orders that are imported after you have filed a return and closed the period?
Sometimes you will have orders that have not been imported prior to filing a return. Once imported, these transactions will be placed automatically in the next filing period using the date the transaction was imported into TaxJar. This way these transactions can be properly filed in the next filing period.
- You can always view the original transaction date by viewing the full order details from your Transactions page.