How often do I need to file?
In this article
What is my filing frequency?
When you create your TaxJar account, your individual state Reports on your account's Dashboard may automatically default to a monthly* filing frequency for each state.
- The states themselves determine the official filing frequency for each taxpayer--it can be either monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually, depending on the regulations of each state and your sales volume.
- *New York defaults for quarterly because New York does not support a monthly filing frequency.
- You should always stick to the filing frequency schedule the state has assigned you. If you attempt to file with a payment schedule that does not match your state-assigned filing frequency, the states may asses penalty and interest fees on to your account and you may be required to go back and correct previous filings.
If you've registered for a sales tax license and you're not sure of your frequency, you can confirm the filing frequency the state has determined for you, you should contact your state's sales tax office.
- We list contact details for each state's DOR here.
- On our blog, we share why can't you file anytime you want.
How do I update my Filing Frequency in my TaxJar Account?
To ensure your TaxJar Reports always match the filing frequency that the state has assigned you in the states where you've registered, please edit the State Settings for each of your nexus states to reflect the exact filing frequency the states have assigned you.
- You can update your Filing Frequency in your State Settings:
⚠️If you receive a filing frequency change notice from the state, if you're not enrolled in AutoFile, you must log in to your TaxJar account and update your filing frequency directly after you finish filing your last return with the current frequency.
What if I'm enrolled in AutoFile?
If you're enrolled in AutoFile, please note you must contact TaxJar and we provide instruction here for our AutoFile-enrolled customers.
- Please note, our support team cannot make this adjustment for our customers who are not enrolled in AutoFile and filing their sales tax returns on their own.
When is my sales tax return due?
Each state has a different set of sales tax return due dates. You can find the sales tax return due dates by clicking the state’s name on this map to view TaxJar’s State Guide for a specific state. On the left-hand side of the State Guide, just click the “When are returns due?” option under “Table of Contents.”
- For example, this section of the Ohio Sales Tax Guide lists the sales tax return due dates for OH by the filing frequency.
We also update this section of the TaxJar blog with blog posts listing the specific sales tax return due dates by state.