What should I do if I receive a notice for a return that was AutoFiled?

If you receive a notice from a state for a return that was filed via AutoFile, please send the following details to support@taxjar.com:

  • Your name
  • Your TaxJar account email address
  • The filing period referenced in the notice you received
  • A copy of the notice you received in its entirety
NOTE: If you receive a nonpayment/failure to pay notice for a return that was AutoFiled, you will need to contact the state directly to arrange another debit attempt.