How do I close my business or notify the state I'm moving my business?
If you are closing your business or moving your business from one state to another, we strongly recommend reaching out to the state first or consulting your legal counsel or a sales tax expert.
- Although you may have moved your business from one state to another, it is possible that you will still continue to have nexus in that state.
- We have more information about trailing nexus in this blog post.
If you no longer have business in a state where you've previously registered for a sales tax license, you must work with the state directly to officially close your sales tax license.
- Please note that if you do not work with the state to close your sales tax license, they will continue to expect you to collect sales tax and file sales tax returns in that state.
- Here’s a list of contact details for each state.
TaxJar does not currently offer services to close your sales tax license registration.
- If you're enrolled in our AutoFile service, we have more information here regarding filing your final return.