Customer Exemption Certificates
TaxJar Plus sellers can now upload and store customer exemption certificates in their account.
- To upload a customer exemption certificate, you must be using our SmartCalcs API or an integration powered by our SmartCalcs such as WooCommerce or Magento.
In this article
What is a Customer Exemption Certificate?
- Exemption certificates allow a business or organization to attest and document that you are a tax-exempt entity, or that you are purchasing an item with the intent to use it in a way that has been deemed exempt from sales tax.
- We provide more information here on how to obtain and use exemption certificates.
What integrations are currently supported for uploading customer exemption certificates?
We currently support uploading customer exemption certificates via our SmartCalcs API as well as the following SmartCalcs-powered integrations: Magento and WooCommerce.
- The ability to upload certificates with integrations that don’t use TaxJar’s API is on our roadmap, but we don't have a timeline for this as of now.
- Currently, customers will not have the ability to upload certificates if they are not set-up using the API.
- Please note, you can still designate exempt customers via CSV upload (Plus only) or by this method here.
How do I upload Customer Exemption Certificates?
1. Please first create the customer directly.
- Magento: When a user edits a customer inside Magento, we sync the customer information to TaxJar.
- WooCommerce: Please set up your customers as exempt first within your WooCommerce configuration.
- Select Customers from the dropdown.
- Then upload the certificate!
- Please manage your customers directly within the store platform.
- We currently support .pdf file formats for customer exemption certificates.
- After the certificate is uploaded for a customer, when that customer is logged in and makes a purchase, then the customer ID is passed to our system for applicate calculation.
Can I add a customer directly within my TaxJar account?