Tennessee Sales Tax Filing Update October 2019
What's changing in Tennessee?
Tennesse has passed a law requiring Marketplaces to collect and remit sales tax on sales facilitated through the marketplace effective October 1, 2019.
- As of September 30, 2019, we have not yet received confirmation that the carts currently supported as Marketplace Facilitators in TaxJar's Reporting will begin this automatic collection on 10/1/2019.
- We will update this article with more details as our research team receives more specific confirmation and guidance from the state's DOR as well as the currently supported Marketplace Facilitators.
- You can view the state's guidance document here.
We are working with the state to address the following questions for Tennessee:
Our team is investigating to determine how this update will affect sellers and we will update this article with more details as our research team receives more specific confirmation and guidance from the state's DOR as well as the currently supported Marketplace Facilitators.
This article will be updated later in October with more specific answers for the following questions so please check back soon for more details:
- Do I need to register for a sales tax license in Tennesse?
- I have already registered for a license in Tennesse but and all of my sales are Marketplace-only sales. Should I cancel my existing registration?
- Do I need to collect taxes on my Tennesse sales on other platforms?
- Do I still need to file returns in Tennesse?
- I still need to file returns in Tennesse. How do I do this without paying double tax on the sales that were collected and remitted by my Marketplace?