Can I use my API Token for more than one business?
There are two things to consider before you decide to use your API token for more than one business.
- Nexus - The API Token is tied to your TaxJar account and the nexus configuration of states in your State Settings.
- If you are collecting sales taxes in the same states for all businesses this will work properly.
- Otherwise, you will need to pass in the "from_" and/or "nexus_addresses" parameters dynamically when calling our API to determine appropriate nexus for each transaction as needed.
- Reporting and Filing - Another concern is that there will be no way to differentiate which website the API calls are coming from.
- You would only want to use the same API token for multiple websites as long as they are filing their taxes as a single entity.
If they are not, then you will need to have separate accounts for reporting and filing purposes.
- If you need to view or manage details for multiple accounts without logging into each account, you might consider a TaxJar Plus account which offers Multi-User access.