Does TaxJar collect sales tax for me?
TaxJar helps you ensure you're collecting the proper amount of sales tax on your orders by offering Reporting and Calculation services.
- TaxJar does not collect and hold the sales tax for you (for example, in a special holding or escrow account).
- You would be responsible for keeping the taxes you collect separate from your sales totals.
If you sell on WooCommerce, Magento, BigCommerce, Ecwid, NetSuite, or you've built a custom integration, the TaxJar API will automatically calculate the sales tax you should collect for states you've enabled as nexus states in your State Settings.
Please note, our API-powered integrations are available to our TaxJar Professional customers. We recommend scheduling a call with our Sales team to review and discuss your requirements if you're selling via these integrations:
- WooCommerce plugin
- Magento extension
- BigCommerce integration
- Ecwid integration
- NetSuite integration
- We have more information about the TaxJar API here in our API Reference Guide.
Our direct integrations have built-in sales tax collection functionality that requires you to enable and configure sales tax calculation settings within their accounts. We have some tips below to help you make sure you're collecting the proper amount of sales tax on your orders:
- Our FBA sales tax guide shows FBA sellers how to set up your Seller Central Tax Settings in your Amazon account.
- We show you how to navigate and enable Shopify's tax collection settings here.
- Walmart has some information here with tips for setting up sales tax collection. We would also recommend confirming with Walmart's support on the best setting for this in their sales tax engine.
- If you make sales via Square, this blog post shows you how to set up tax collection in your Square account.
- We have tips for setting up tax collection in your Etsy store on our blog.
- We have suggestions for setting up tax collection in eBay and PayPal as well.