Do I need a Secretary of State number to register for a sales tax license?

To our understanding, you do not need to register for a Secretary of State number to get a sales tax license.

  •  We have heard that some state's online forms may ask you to do this. If so, you may need to call the state directly to explain your situation and they should be able to remove this requirement from their end. 
  • We list contact details for each state's DOR here
    *For California, the best number for an out-of-state seller to call regarding this issue is (916) 227-6600.