How do I file an amended return?
You can use your TaxJar Reports to file an amended return from a previous filing period.
- If you need to access Reports from a previous filing period, from your TaxJar Dashboard click the "Sales Tax Report" button for the state you need to file an amended return.
- Use the Navigational Arrows at the Top Right of the Sales Tax Report to select the past filing period you would like to view.
- When you're ready to file your return, you'll need to enter the details from your TaxJar Report into the sales tax form at the state's e-file website. (We have a list of all state DOR/e-file websites here.)
Please note, many states allow you to log in to your state’s taxing authority and amend a previous return; however, some states may require that you fill out your amended return via paper.
- As with anything sales tax-related, each state has its own laws, rules, and regulations.
- You can find links to every state's department of revenue here and if you have any questions, we provide how to call each state here.
If you have refunds from a prior period, the refunded orders you'd need to track to amend your returns are displayed differently by state, and we discuss this in more detail here.