Why am I getting a reminder for this state?
TaxJar sends Sales Tax Due Date reminder emails to active customers who have an upcoming filing deadline on their Dashboard.
Sometimes you'll see a state listed in this email that you weren't expecting and here's why:
1) Our system automatically adds states to the "States in which you are collecting sales tax and filing manually" section of your Dashboard if we see sales tax collected on an order that was shipped to that state. We'll default to a monthly due date for new states where you have not set your filing frequency.
- If you don't recall collecting tax in a state, you can quickly see the order(s) with tax collected by filtering the State Name and "sales tax was collected" here in your Transactions.
- If you determine that you don't have nexus in this state and you accidentally collected this tax, you can refund the tax collected to the customer. You can also remove any states you don't want on your Dashboard by clicking the wrench under the state name and checking the "No longer have nexus or need to file in this state (hide from dashboard)" box so you won't receive reminders for this state again.
2) Do you see one of the states listed here on your Dashboard unexpectedly?
- This means we're seeing tax automatically collected on sales in this state by your Marketplace. (See more information about the Marketplace Facilitator states here.)
- We discuss this in more detail in our blog post, but you may not want to remove the Marketplace Facilitator states from your Dashboard immediately, as you may still be required to file returns and also collect tax for non Marketplace sales.