Washington: How do I add my Excise Tax account?
Why do I need to add my Excise Tax Account?
You won't be able to file a Washington states sales tax return without first adding your state Excise (sales) Tax account within your Washington My DOR account.
- If you plan to enroll in AutoFile, you'll need to do this step before enrolling so that TaxJar will be able to AutoFile your Washington returns.
How can I tell if I need to do this?
When you first log into the Washington Department of Revenue website with your SAW USER ID and Password you may see a Dashboard that looks this:
In both instances, the Washington Excise Tax account hasn't been added to the My DOR profile.
- To successfully enroll in AutoFile, your Excise Tax account needs to appear on your Dashboard.
How Do I add my Excise Tax Account?
You can add your Excise Tax account by logging into your My DOR account and following the steps below. To get started, you'll need the Letter ID and Account ID that the state provided to you.
- If you are unsure of either ID number, we recommend you contacting the Washington DOR at 1-800-647-7706.
Once you have these details in hand, you can start adding your excise tax account by following these instructions
1. From your Business Licensing and Taxes Home page, in the "I want To" menu, click Access an Existing Business Account.
2. On the Select Account Access page, select the radio button next to "Add Access to a Tax Account" and Click the "Next" button.
3. On the ID Validation page, enter your Letter ID and Account ID and Click the "Next" button.
4. On the Confirmation page, review the information you added, then Click the "Submit" button, then Click the "OK" button.
5. Your tax account should now be listed on the Business Licensing and Taxes Home page Accounts tab as seen in the image below:
6. You are now ready to enroll in AutoFile for Washington.