SmartCalcs Product Categories
The categories currently supported with SmartCalcs are shown in this response in our API documentation.
While we can't advise you regarding which category your products would fall into, if we don’t have a category for your specific item and the item isn't taxed at a special rate, you can leave the product code blank and we will treat the item as fully taxable goods.
- More granular product tax codes are available for Plus members. You can learn more about TaxJar Plus and its additional features here!
If you'd like to handle product categories we don't yet support directly through our API, you'll need to write some custom code to handle the logic based on the customer's shipping destination state.
- If you sell a product category not yet supported by our API, and the customer's billing/shipping address is in state where this product/item is exempt, you could pass our ⚠️`99999` tax exempt⚠️ product tax code to our API to ensure no sales tax is collected.
- As long as the exemptions are state-specific (and not at the county/city/jurisdiction level), it should be straightforward to handle this.
⚠️Important information about the 99999 product tax code
As of July 31, 2019, support for the 99999 product category code (general/unspecified exempt products) has been deprecated.
We originally introduced this tax code to help merchants exempt products for categories we don’t yet support. While it continues to serve that purpose, we cannot support the 99999 tax code for AutoFile.
- The reason for this is that we can’t match this tax code to any of our supported product exemption categories, and when filing on your behalf, we need to provide specific categories for exempt products.
Additionally, this tax code will no longer be displayed in our API documentation, returned by our /v2/categories endpoint, or shown in our integrations such as Magento or WooCommerce. We will continue to accept the 99999 tax code if passed to our API. Later this year we will introduce a substantial number of new product categories to reduce the need for a 99999 tax code and support your needs.
You are welcome to continue using 99999 and file your returns manually.
- When you file, you'll need to make sure you classify your sales categorized with the 99999 code with the proper exemption category in the state's return form.
- If you use AutoFile, any transactions with the 99999 tax code will be treated as fully taxable.
If you would like to request support for a product category that's not listed here, please contact our Support and we'll keep you updated on new additions to our supported product tax categories.