TaxJar Walk-Through for Amazon FBA
If you're new to TaxJar and you're an FBA seller, we recommend following each of TaxJar's Steps To Success so you can be sure that you are setting up your account to properly handle your sales tax compliance.
1) If you've created a TaxJar account and you're ready to get started, go ahead and connect your Amazon account to Tax Jar by clicking on the Amazon icon from your Dashboard. If you have trouble with this, here's a quick video to make sure you get connected.
Once your account is connected, we'll need a bit of time to import your transactions from Amazon. After the process is complete, you'll receive an email from us letting you know your reports are ready.
2) After your transactions are imported, you can view your automated sales tax reports from your Dashboard by following these steps:
a) Click the "Sales Tax Report" button for any state on your TaxJar Dashboard.
b) Use the navigational arrows at the Top Right of the Sales Tax Report to select the filing period you would like to view.
TaxJar detects the states where you have FBA nexus and adds them to your Dasbhoard with an Amazon badge next to the state name.
4) Once you know where you have nexus, the next step is registering for a sales tax license, and the states expect you to register to before collecting any sales tax. We talk about about the timing of registering on our blog.
When you're ready to register, we tell you how to register for state licenses in all states with Amazon warehouses.
5) Once you've registered, you can officially add the state as a nexus state to your Dashboard by visiting your state settings and clicking the "change" link next to the state you'd like to add. (You can also remove states from your Dashboard on this page.)
6) Each state visible in your Dashboard shows a due date for the next sales tax return filing deadline. Our reports automatically default to show you the monthly filing due dates for each state. But, your filing frequency is determined by the state when you register for a sales tax license--so your frequency may be different.
If any of your nexus states require you to file Quarterly, or Annually, you can change the filing frequency to match your schedule by clicking on the "change" link next to the state name in your State Settings.
7) If you're not yet collecting taxes, you can view an estimate of how much you may owe in our Detailed Sales Tax Analysis. (If you're already collecting, you can check this estimate to see if your current collecting is on track.)
8) After you have your sales tax registration you need to tell Amazon to start collecting taxes for you. We've put together a list of settings you can mirror to show you how to turn on Amazon tax collection at the end of this guide. (We also have a video with tips for this here.)
9) When you're ready to file a return, our state reports give you all of the information you need to do so.
10) If you'd like to have us file your returns for you automatically, you can do this by enrolling in our AutoFile service.