Mississippi Sales Tax Filing Update July 2020: Marketplace Facilitator Laws
Mississippi passed a law requiring Marketplaces to collect and remit sales tax on sales facilitated through the marketplace effective July 1, 2020.
• Amazon, eBay, Etsy, and Walmart began collecting on July 1, 2020.
In this article, we summarize Mississippi's state guidance on the following questions:
- Do I need to register for a sales tax license in Mississippi?
- Should I cancel my existing registration if all my sales are marketplace-collected?
- Do I need to collect sales tax on Mississippi sales on non-marketplace platforms?
- Do I still need to file returns in Mississippi?
- How do I file without paying double tax on the sales that were collected and remitted by my Marketplace?
I've never registered for a Mississippi license. Do I need to register for a sales tax license in this state now?
This new Marketplace Facilitator law does not change the current requirements to register for a sales tax license in Mississippi.
I have already registered for a license in Mississippi and all of my sales are Marketplace-only sales. Should I cancel my existing registration?
If you are a marketplace seller who has already registered due to physical presence (such as inventory stored in your Marketplace's warehouse) or you have voluntarily registered, you should remain registered, according to the DOR.
Do I need to collect taxes on my Mississippi sales through other platforms?
Yes. If you have nexus in the state (physical or economic) and you make sales to customers in Mississippi on platforms outside of the marketplace that is automatically collecting and remitting, you will also need to collect tax on your end on the Mississippi orders that are processed on the other platforms.
Do I still need to file returns in Mississippi?
- If you've previously registered, the state expects you to remain registered and continue to file returns.
- If your only sales are Marketplace sales, the state may still expect you to file a zero return.
I still need to file returns in Mississippi. How do I do this without paying double tax on the sales that were collected and remitted by my Marketplace?
- The state does not require the marketplace seller to report marketplace sales separately.
- Therefore, marketplace sales are excluded from the gross sales. Please hover over the "Exclusions" in your Mississippi Report to view state-specific guidance.
If you are filing manually, you would exclude these marketplace sales and continue filing according to your Report. We show detailed guidance if you hover over the question mark icons in your Report.
If you're enrolled in AutoFile for Mississippi, our system will handle the Marketplace sales deduction process automatically!