BigCommerce: Sales Tax Collection for Exempt Customers
Please review here on how to prepare for this new functionality.
In order for sales tax to not calculate for tax-exempt customers, please set the following in your BigCommerce store:
- To make a tax-exempt customer, go to Customers › View and click on a customer's name to edit their information.
- Then enter the appropriate entity/use letter code into the Tax Exempt Code field and Save your changes.
TaxJar Exemption Codes
” G” = exempt, “wholesale”
” A” = exempt, “government”
“ L” = exempt, “other”
Any other value will assign "Other"
Your transactions will now allow TaxJar to appropriately tax (or not tax) the order and our system will automatically sync over the exempt status to your TaxJar account.
- ⚠️ Important: If the code does not match above, then TaxJar will assign a tax-exempt reason of "other" to the transaction in your TaxJar account.
- When you designate tax-exempt, resale and wholesale transactions in TaxJar, your TaxJar Expected Sales Tax Due Reports will be accurate and, you can AutoFile only the sales tax you collected.
- If you need to update the reasons, you would need to manually update those transactions directly within your TaxJar account. We show you how to do this here.
Existing TaxJar <> BigCommerce Integrations
Action Required: To enable this feature, you need to update your BigCommerce store after September 5, 2020:
- Log in to your BigCommerce store
- You’ll see a notification saying that one or more of your apps needs an update > select “More Details”
- Then, click “Update” under the TaxJar app
- Select “Confirm” to acknowledge updating permissions for TaxJar to enable this feature
That’s it! This feature is now enabled.