WooCommerce Product & Customer Exemptions
To install the WooCommerce Product & Customer Exemptions Beta, please follow the instructions below:
- Download the zip file from GitHub
- If you already have the TaxJar WooCommerce plugin installed, deactivate the existing plugin. Keep in mind this will temporarily turn off sales tax calculations, so plan accordingly!
- Go to Plugins > Add New in your WordPress admin panel. Click the “Upload Plugin” button and upload the zip file
You'll now have two versions of our plugin. Make sure the beta version (v3.0.0) is activated:
From there, you can set up your exempt products and customers if needed.
To exempt products from sales tax, review our documentation on Product Taxability.
To exempt customers from sales tax, review our documentation on Customer Taxability.
- Please note, in order to apply exemption status to your buyer, you will need to edit an individual customer under Users > All Users.
- Then, scroll down to “TaxJar Sales Tax Exemptions” and choose an exemption type:
Lastly, please ensure “Sales Tax Reporting” is enabled under WooCommerce > TaxJar:
As you complete orders or refunds, pay attention to the “Sync Queue” under WooCommerce > TaxJar > Sync Queue to ensure the transactions are pushed to TaxJar:
*We also recommend enabling “Debug Mode” under WooCommerce > TaxJar > Settings to review API requests in your logs if you come across any issues. Once enabled, you can find logs for calculations, transactions, and customers under WooCommerce > Status > Logs.