WooCommerce Product & Customer Exemptions
To install the WooCommerce Product & Customer Exemptions, you’ll first need to make sure you have the latest TaxJar plugin for WooCommerce extension installed.
1. You can download the TaxJar for WooCommerce extension here.
2. Once the download is complete, navigate to: WordPress Admin > Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin > Choose File and select the file you just downloaded.
3. Select Install Now and Activate the extension.
From there, you can set up your exempt products and customers as needed.
Setting Up Product and Customer Exemptions
Check out the below guides for:
- Setting up sales tax exempt products, review our documentation on Product Taxability here.
- Setting up sales tax exempt customers, review our documentation on Customer Taxability here.
Please note, in order to apply an exemption status to your customer, you will need to edit an individual customer under Users > All Users and follow the below steps:
1. Scroll down to “TaxJar Sales Tax Exemptions” and choose an exemption type:
2. Click the "Update Profile” button to sync the customer to TaxJar.
- Then create the manual order, enter the shipping address for the order, add items to the order and select "Recalculate".
- Finally, add the exempt customer to this order and "Recalculate" again to ensure the sales tax is removed.
Lastly, please ensure “Sales Tax Reporting” is enabled under WooCommerce > TaxJar:
As you complete orders or refunds, pay attention to the “Sync Queue” under WooCommerce > TaxJar > Sync Queue to ensure the transactions are pushed to TaxJar:
*We also recommend enabling “Debug Mode” under WooCommerce > TaxJar > Settings to review API requests in your logs if you come across any issues. Once enabled, you can find logs for calculations, transactions, and customers under WooCommerce > Status > Logs