August 2018: How to Update your Illinois Location Registration
Why am I being asked to update my Illinois state registration? I'm already enrolled in AutoFile.
Here's why we've asked you to take this step: Illinois requires you to register all your selling locations with the state and in order to accurately AutoFile your Illinois returns, we need your registration to match Illinois' location requirements.
- This means that if you have a location in Illinois, or even inventory stored in Illinois (in this state, a third-party fulfillment center where inventory is stored is considered a location), then you should register with the state as an in-state seller.
- We explain why this is important in more detail in this blog post.
How to register your in-state selling locations in Illinois:
To update your state registration, you will need to contact the Illinois Department of Revenue Registration Division at 217-785-3707 to ask the DOR to update your registration.
- When you make this call to the DOR, please make sure that the state updates your location(s) to be effective for the current filing period.
How to identify which locations to register as your in-state selling locations for Illinois:
We have updated the TaxJar Illinois State Sales Tax Report to help you determine your sales tax locations within the state and if you have multiple locations.
- If you see locations under “Sales from location within Illinois” you should register these locations with the state:
Which locations should you register if you sell via FBA:
If you sell via FBA, we recommend that you go ahead and register ALL Amazon fulfillment centers in Illinois as your in-state selling locations.
- This will help you avoid calling the state to add new locations every time Amazon stores your inventory in a new/different, non-previously registered Illinois warehouse.
- Once the state registers these sales sites within their system, you will be able to correctly collect, report and remit sales and use taxes on your tax return according to the rates of each location.
- You can see a list of all Illinois Amazon fulfillment centers here, but to be more precise, you should check your own Inventory Event Detail report.